Monday, February 3, 2014

Keeping It All Together

With the new year and new semester, I've seen several other blogs posting about how to stay organized, so I thought I'd post my own! First, here are a few of my essentials for staying organized.


My Lilly Pulitzer planner has been life-changing this year. Everyone should have a planner- your phone is great for remembering events and holidays, but homework assignments should be written down. I bought the large agenda last summer and it has made a huge difference (it's also a preppy staple!). At the beginning of each semester I sit down with the syllabus for each class, writing down every reading assignment, quiz, test, and project due date. That way, I don't have to keep checking the syllabus and I stay on top of everything.

My iPad is probably the most important thing in my arsenal. I have a case with a built-in keyboard that I use to take notes in class. It's much easier than carrying a laptop (although now that I have a MacBook Air my iPad has a challenger), and all of my notes are stored in Evernote, a great note-taking app that allows you to have a notebook for each class with individual notes for each day.

I also have most of my books on my Kindle app. I bought 10 books for this semester, and 8 of them are on my iPad! As much as I love having a physical book, it's easier having everything on one device. I always have it with me in class, so if my professor brings up a certain passage or section of the book, it's right there in front of me. And who wants to carry 8 books around?

Even though I take notes on my iPad, I have an obsession with stationary and pens, hence the notebooks and Betsey Johnson pencil bag that's stuffed with every color pen you can imagine. I use the notebooks for test reviews, since I study better by writing things down. My big pink notepad is for my never-ending to-do lists. If I write something down and can physically see that it's not done, it's a big motivator for me!

There's not one way to stay organized, but here's some of my tips:
  • Find a study playlist- I personally listen to classical because I'm not tempted to sing along! 
  • Get a study partner- I spent the weekend before finals in the library with my friend and I actually got so much done. Motivate each other to get your work done so that you have more time to chat later!
  • Give yourself a set amount of time to finish tasks- if you have two hours free, give yourself an hour for one task and the other hour as your free time. 
  • Don't wait until Sunday night to start your homework- try to get your work done on Saturday, so that if you go out that night you won't be pressured to try working sunday morning when you're still hungover. 
  • Always do the reading- you never know when a surprise quiz is coming or your professor will choose you to lead the discussion. Be prepared!
Being organized is all about motivation- try making lists or writing down weekly goals for yourself. Holding yourself accountable will make it harder to procrastinate. 

Thanks for reading, and make sure to hit the Follow button!


No comments:

Post a Comment