Sunday, March 16, 2014

Los Angeles Day 1: LACMA

I am officially in love with the city of angels. Don't get me wrong, I love New York, but LA has definitely captured my heart. The warm weather, sunshine, and open spaces (at least compared to Long Island), plus spending a week with my best friend are just what I needed.

I was so excited about being in LA that I was up at 9 today (I am notoriously a late riser and am known to frequently sleep until noon). After a lovely breakfast and catching up on last night's episode of Hannibal, we headed out to LACMA, or the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. I love museums, and my favorite part about LACMA is that it is spread out across several different buildings, so you get to enjoy the lovely weather while moving between different exhibits.


My first stop when I land in California is always In N Out!

This is Chris Burden's "Urban Light" outside the LACMA, made of 202 restored street lamps from LA used during the 1930s and 1940s.


The giant sculpture that greets you when you walk into the museum.

Maybe it's my inner dancer but I have always loved Degas and his depictions of the ballet. Not to mention that Impressionism is my absolute favorite style of painting.




This was the COOLEST part of the museum- this is Jesus Rafael Soto's "Yellow Tubes," a bunch of long yellow plastic strings that hang from a net. When you walk in you feel like you are in an entire room full of the tubes, it made me feel so childlike! I can't explain why this was so much fun, you have to experience it yourself!






We had a lot of fun with plant for some reason.

These are all part of the Japanese art collection at LACMA, and the pieces as well as the building were stunning. The exhibit is in a spiral room where you walk up and down ramps to see different pieces, most of which were giant screens or intricate tapestries.



I am in love with this tiger- look at his eyes!

The elephant-looking creature in the background is a baku, a creature that eats nightmares. Always read the little plaques, you'll learn something new!



I am so grateful that I get to spend Spring Break with my best friend.

I wish I was going to be here for the DVF Journey of a Dress exhibit!

Outfit details- Shirt, Skirt, Necklace, Bracelet, all Francesca's. Sunglasses, H&M. Earrings, Sam Moon. Headband, Forever 21. Bag, Betsey Johnson.

I also updated the layout of the blog, I'm not sure how I feel about it so tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment