Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Women in the World

Ok, I finally have a little time to sit down and blog (or I'm just a terrible blogger and that's my excuse...), and I can finally tell all about my amazing weekend.

This year was the 5th annual Women in the World Summit, a gathering of dozens of powerful and influential women who are making a real difference in the world. The summit is organized by Tina Brown, the founder of Women in the World, former editor at The Daily Beast, and current CEO of Tina Brown Live Media. And guess who was at the summit (hint: me!)?

I interned with Newsweek and The Daily Beast last summer, when Tina Brown was still in charge, and one of my editors now works for her over at Live Media. He sent me an e-mail over spring break (which I responded to while riding in a convertible through Newport, in typical California fashion), asking if I wanted to work the summit! Obviously!

I was on the social media team, responsible for live-tweeting various sessions during the summit from the WITW account; when I wasn't tweeting from there I was tweeting from my own account- basically I was using social media for my job!

My very first press credentials!

Lincoln Center, after Day 1.

Jon Stewart (yes that Jon Stewart!) and several Arab activists discussed the effects of the Arab Spring on women.

Charlie Rose and Pussy Riot!!

Sorry for the hotel selfies, I had to get at least one outfit picture. Blazer, Talbots. Skirt, Cynthia Rowley. Heels, Guess. Top, Ross. 


Tina Brown and UN Ambassador Samantha Power, one of my idols!

Just a few of the amazing women who spoke throughout the week.

One of my awesome editors from the Daily Beast! (Top and skirt, both Forever 21)

While I didn't get to meet anyone (the downside to being a reporter sometimes- less access!), I did have a seat in the press box for the summit and was able to be in the same room as not only great female journalists but great women who are making a huge difference. The best part was seeing Kelsey, one of my fellow interns from last summer who I become great friends with, who came up all the way from school in Florida for the summit! It was so much fun getting to stay with her in the city and hang out again!

It was a huge, huge honor to be a part of this and I hope to be back next year (provided I am not in Amsterdam)! This only confirms how much I love journalism and all the opportunities that it comes with, and I am so thankful to have had the chance to intern at The Daily Beast last summer and reunite with everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment