Sunday, January 12, 2014

Back in the Swing

I spent all four years of high school doing speech and debate, also known as Forensics, and I loved it. For those who will argue that forensics is CSI-type stuff, here's a few definitions:
fo·ren·sics  (f-rnsks, -zks)
n. (used with a sing. verb)
1. The art or study of formal debate; argumentation.
2. The use of science and technology to investigate and establish facts in criminal or civil courts of law.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
forensics (fəˈrɛnsɪks)
n
1. (Education) (functioning as singular or plural) the art or study of formal debating
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003
forensics
the art and study of argumentation and formal debate. — forensic, adj.
See also: Argumentation
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
As you can see, Forensics is speech and debate. I don't do forensics in college (although Hofstra is getting a team together for next year!), and I miss it. I don't miss getting up at 5 am on a Saturday and spending 16 hours at a random high school in the DFW area, wearing a suit and heels and performing all day. But I love competing and spending time with my awesome team.
Luckily, I finally got the opportunity to judge a tournament. It's very weird being on the other side of the table, but I enjoyed judging! I got to judge my  favorite event, Original Oratory- you write your own ten minute speech (rather than performing a published piece) on any topic. My junior year I wrote about satire in The Colbert Report and The Daily Show and how it affects our opinions on politics and current events. My senior year I wrote about the lack of originality in our lives. Both years I qualified for and competed at state and national tournaments. 
Anyway, I wanted to share my outfit from my day of judging! 


Top, Ross. Jeans, Target. Boots, Ross. Jewelry, see below. Bag, vintage Coach- I see this purse on blogs and Pinterest all the time! I had no idea until recently that it was such a coveted bag! It's my mom's from the 80s, my dad gave it to her as a gift when they were dating!

A note about my hair; I used bobby pins to pin curl my hair to achieve my look today. I use hot rollers in the morning if I don't do my hair the night before, but if I'm proactive I put my damp hair into sponge rollers or pin curls. I'm hoping to do a video tutorial soon!

Jewels: Bracelet, J. Crew Factory (I just ordered one for my mom as well since she loved mine so much!). Earrings, Forever 21. Necklaces, both Betsey Johnson (I couldn't find exact links since the flower one was a gift and I bought the peacock a while back at TJ Maxx).


BTW, if you'd like to learn more about forensics, here are links to the Texas Forensic Association and the National Forensics League- yes, I was in the NFL. Just not that NFL.


No comments:

Post a Comment