Friday, September 5, 2014

Fall Reading List

Over the summer I talked about my reading list, consisting of some of the books I wanted to finally crack open and a few favorites that I recommend! Now that school has started up, I'll have a little less time to read, but I wanted to still put together a new list for a new season! So, here's a few of the things I'll be reading on the train on the way to my internship and a few I'd love to re-read!

Fall Reading List

  • Inferno, by Dan Brown: I love Dan Brown books because I am a massive history nerd (half the books I read this summer were non-fiction and the other half were historical fiction....). My dream job is to be Professor Robert Langdon, but since I really don't see teaching at Harvard in my future, I can live vicariously through Brown's novels. His latest is set in Florence and it hits the ground running (literally) right from the start. 
  • The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, Stieg Larsson: I love these books, but I will admit that they start a little slow (keep reading! is what I tell skeptics), which is why I am still finishing the final book in the trilogy. This might also be due to my bad habit of reading multiple books at once...oops.
  • And The Mountains Echoed, Khaled Hosseini: My brother was assigned The Kite Runner for his senior English class (#jealous), and I will certainly be stealing it from him come Thanksgiving break. After reading A Thousand Splendid Suns (and crying on the plane to New Orleans while reading it), I can't wait to finish out Hosseini's works. Besides, even Malala thinks his books should be required reading
  • The Netherlands: Yes, this is a guide book, but I am in the midst of over-preparing and over-researching in anticipation of my semester abroad! Recommendations are welcome!

A Few Favorites
  • Memoirs of a Geisha, by Arthur Golden: Ok, I know this was on my summer reading list, but now that I finished it I can finally rave about it! I watched the film version with my mom in the spring and couldn't wait to get my hands on the book. Fast forward to August where I devoured this book in 2 sittings. It is that good. The vivid description of pre and post-war Kyoto through the eyes of the geisha who entertained during that time is breathtaking. 
  • The Painted Veil, W. Somerset Maugham: Again, a book that I was inspired to read after seeing the movie. This is in the same vein as Atonement of Memoirs; historical, romantic, sad, and well-written. Maugham is a classic, and it's a super quick read. 

I'd love to know what everyone else is reading, and what is on your must-read list! 

No comments:

Post a Comment